Events

Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Reclaiming Queer Childhoods: Dual Book Release – Online Event

June 18 @ 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Hosted and moderated by Chicago’s own Leanna Burton! Join Marina Labarthe del Solar and Lexie Bean to celebrate their new works celebrating adult queer and trans reclamation of childhood mediums. Marina, co-founder of Enby Spoken Histories, with The Trans Coloring Book! And Lexie Bean, curator of Lambda Finalist Written on the Body, with their debut middle grade novel The Ship We Built.

They will share from their books and be in dialogue with the one and only Peppermint! The three will share on questions of who gets to have full and representational childhoods, ways art serves as reclamation, and how reforming “child-like” mediums can create new futures and new understandings of love.

There will also be a special performance by queer pop artist, Be Steadwell! Who may also be a part of the panel discussion 🙂

Purchase a copy of The Ship We Built (Dial Books, 2020, hardcover, $16.99) from the Bureau. Write to us at contact@bgsqd.com with the subject line “Order The Ship We Built” and the following included in the body of the email:

Name:

Ship-to address:

Phone number:

Venmo or PayPal handle:

(or we can take your credit card info over the phone)

Marina’s Trans Coloring Book (paperback, $10) can be purchased on their site:

https://okdood.bigcartel.com/

REGISTER ON EVENTBRITE IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE LINK TO THE ZOOM MEETING (REQUIRED)

This event is free, but the authors encourage donations to support Emergency Relief Fund* and to make their books as accessible as possible. 75% of all donations will go towards Emergency Relief Fund and the remaining 25% towards sending free copies of their books to low-income members of our communities. Suggested donation of $5 to $10, but whatever you are able to give is much appreciated!

*The mission of the Emergency Release Fund is to ensure that no trans person at risk in New York City jails remains in detention before trial. If cash bail is set for a trans person in New York City and no bars to release are in place, bail will be paid by the Emergency Release Fund.

Trans people experience constant injustice. Behind bars it can be fatal. It’s on us to make sure no one – not one person – falls through the cracks. We can and we will.

 

 

Details

Date:
June 18
Time:
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM

Venue

Online event
New York, NY United States

Organizer

Bureau of General Services—Queer Division
Email:
contact@bgsqd.com
Website:
bgsqd.com